Raspberry Facts and Information
Your Choice Site for EVERYTHING Raspberry!
If you are looking for facts and general information about raspberries, you have come to the right place!
Raspberry-Depot.com is a website devoted to EVERYTHING Raspberry related ... so visiting here is a berry good idea!
- A "Raspberry" is a fruit.
- A raspberry is made up of many tiny bead-like fruits called "drupelets" clustered around a core. Each drupelet contains one seed, and an average raspberry has 100 to 120 seeds.
- There are different varieties of raspberries available to the home gardener - red, purple, gold and black.
- Raspberries are easy to grow for the home gardener.
- Red raspberries are available in two types of crops: as "normal cultivars" that produce a single crop in early summer, and, as "ever-bearing cultivars" that produce a second crop in the late summer or early fall.
- The root system of raspberries is perennial, but each shoot is biennial, and survives for 2 years, (producing the fruit in the second year).
- When ripe, raspberries separate easily from the core, which remains attached to the plant.
- It is a Raspberry Fact - Unlike many other fruits, unripe raspberries do not ripen after they are picked!
- Raspberries should be kept in the refrigerator. They will usually last a few days in the refrigerator, and up to one year in the freezer. See: How to Freeze Raspberries
- "U-Pick" Raspberry Farms, where you Pick-Your-Own berries, may sell raspberries by the pint, or by the pound. A pint of raspberries equals approximately 3/4 pounds of fresh raspberries. See: Pick Your Own Raspberries
- Blackberries are not the same as "black raspberries". Blackberries have a "core" that stays in the fruit when it is picked, and, unlike black raspberry canes which grow upright, blackberry canes are long and trailing.
- Black raspberries are sometimes referred to as "Black Caps"
- Raspberries can be preserved by freezing, drying or canning.
- One cup of raspberries has 60.28 calories...that is great raspberry fact for those who are "counting calories".
- Raspberries are high in Vitamin C, in Potassium, and in Folate, and they have no fat, cholesterol or sodium. See: Raspberry Nutritional Values
- Raspberries are very nutritious. That is one of the most important raspberry facts to know!
- Raspberries are high in fibre. One cup of raspberries provides 8.34 g of dietary fibre.
- Raspberries are a leading source of "ellagic acid", which helps protect the body from cancer.
- Raspberries rank in the top 10 antioxidant-high fruits and vegetables! Antioxidants are believed to help prevent and repair oxidative stress, a process that damages body cells and has been linked to the development of diseases such as cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer's disease.
- Raspberries provide important anti-inflammatories, including anthocyanins (the pigments in red, purple and blue fruits), which are believed to help reduce cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and help to improve eyesight and memory functions.
- Raspberries, especially the seeds, are increasing in importance in the cosmeceuticals market (skin care products with health benefits).The oil in the seeds of the raspberries is rich in vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids and has a natural SPF (sun protection factor) of 25 to 50.
- 1 pint of raspberries = 2 cups = 500 ml.= 3/4 lb. = (about 1/3 kg.).
- About 2 pints (4 cups) of raspberries are needed for one 9 inch pie.
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups = 10 ounce package of frozen raspberries.
- One cup of raspberries equals about 125 grams.
- Raspberries are extremely versatile fruits and can be used in sauces, jams and jellies, ice cream, salads, pies, cakes, cookies, muffins, desserts, pancakes, scones, and more!
- Raspberries are very popular in a great variety of drinks, such as juices, smoothies, and punch.
TOP of Raspberry Facts and Information
HOME to Homepage of Raspberry-Depot.com
Copyright ©2010-2018 Raspberry-depot.com - All Rights Reserved Worldwide No Reproduction Permitted Without
the Express Written Consent of the Site Owner
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites